Thursday, September 10, 2009

And the hats are back...

Just as I suspected. When Jayden was "evaluated" last month by the behavior analyst, I blogged about it here and mentioned his strange use of hats:

"... he uses that hat to avoid eye contact when he isn't in control. Jayden started wearing hats like that when he was having speech and OT once a week. He would wake up and immediately look for a hat. It had to be b/c he knew he would have therapy and he wouldn't be in control. He ALWAYS had a hat on his head. He stopped wearing the hats about a month after they stopped coming and now he just grabs them as needed, like this morning."

Once he stopped having therapy in April, he stopped wearing the hats. We couldn't even get him to wear a hat if we wanted him to. Now, he's been back in therapy for 4 weeks now and the hats are back. 24/7. He even sleeps with the hat on. He HAS to have the hat on the counter, in his view, while he's taking a bath. And it goes right back on his head after I change his clothes. To Jayden, those hats are more than an accessory. They are a sense of security and control. So here is where my issue lies...I'm not sure if he will be able to wear his hats to school starting in January. Should I bring this point up to his behavior analyst and get her to start working on him not needing the hat? I worry about how it will affect him, but I know it is something that we need to address...

No comments: