Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not Happy

I hate that I am even in a position to have to type this out....

I am not happy with Jayden's new neurologist!

We waited for months and I was SO HOPEFUL! So far, she was not worth the wait. If you read my last post, you know I'm not saying this b/c of her inability to "magically" heal my son and give us answers. I completely understand that she is human and I trust that she has some sort of plan to figure out what's going on with him and how to help him. HOWEVER...

Jayden was off Thursday morning. We actually left out of the house late b/c he was just not himself. He dazed almost the entire 45 minute ride to the clinic. Then when we got there he was very sleepy and lying in my husband's lap (pretty sure he'd had an absence seizure in the car). Well he was fine after a nap and we went over to my parents' house for dinner. Jayden played with his cousin and they even went to sell some of his cookie dough for school to the neighbors. He was just fine. But then he sat on the couch and we were at the dining table and could see him clearly. All of a sudden I heard him whine and I looked over at him. He tried to get off the couch but ended up doing a faceplant into the couch cushions. He cried and reached and the first person to get him was my niece. She sat him up but told me that he didn't want to get off the couch. Thinking back, when he starts having a seizure, he is impossible to easily pick up. It's like his entire body fights you. So she probably thought he was pulling away from her. He cried more and reached for me and I knew he was about to have a seizure (or having it already) so I picked him up and brought him to the table with us. It only got worse from there. He moaned, pounded on his head with his fist, pounded on my shoulder. He was hot and clammy and drooling. And this went on for 6 minutes. 6 long ass minutes. Can you imagine watching your child OBVIOUSLY in pain and you cannot do a thing FOR 6 MINUTES!?! My mom was ready to give him his rescue meds, but honestly, I wasn't prepared. I was worried about how he would react. The Diastat is rectal valium. The nearest hospital is over 20 minutes away. His seizures never lasted this long. I just kept saying, "It's gonna stop. It's gonna stop. It HAS to stop!!" It did stop eventually. But it left us with a baby that was out cold and family full of worry. He was absolutely fine the next morning albeit pretty hyper and uncoordinated.

So, of course, as would any concerned mother would do after an event like this, I called the Dr to leave a message on the next morning (Friday). My message was that my little boy had a 6 minute long seizure and his coordination is still off and I'm concerned. No one bothered returning my call. Bad taste. We stayed home (or close to home) all weekend b/c I couldn't bare him having a long seizure like that out in public. My strength is breaking. Sunday he had another one. It was VERY short, but strong enough to make him scream out in pain and then pass out. I called again on Monday and this time I said that I left a message on Friday and I didn't get a call back but really need to speak with someone b/c I'm concerned about my son. 2 hours later, the nurse called back. I told her about the seizure and she asked me if he was breathing the entire time. He moaned alot and every now and then he did take a deep breath before he seized again. That's all I could tell her. His face was losing color but it had been that way all day (the color of his face is the first thing I notice on a bad day). So then she says she will tell the Dr and the Dr will give me a call back. Well that was at 10am. 4:30 came and I never heard from the Dr. I called back and left a message asking if the nurse spoke to the Dr about my son. Yeah, I annoyed the shit out of them, but I cannot be timid about this when my child is suffering and possibly having some brain damage done during all of these seizures! If anything, give me a call back for reassurance. Well at 4:55 my phone rang and it was the Dr. I gave her a run down of what was going on and she said that she will call another hospital to see if they can do his EEG sooner than the 16th (the 4th EEG when the first 3 were all abnormal anyway...)but that she couldn't do that until the next day b/c scheduling was closed. Scheduling would not have been closed had she called me back sooner. But I give her the benefit of doubt and say that she was more than likely very busy with patients. HOWEVER, what if my son was an emergency situation?! I'm just not comfortable with that. This conversation with her was on Monday. She did not call me yesterday with any info on his EEG. I called this morning to find out about it. I left a message and I don't expect a call back today. I don't like chasing behind her. It's one thing if Jayden was a 100% healthy child with no serious issues, but frequent seizures is very serious. She should be making a bigger effort to not only get him help but to reassure us that she is working on a plan. To reassure me that the seizures he's having is not hurting him even though they are NOT controlled. To reassure me that the medication I'm dumping into his system twice a day (that is NOT working) is not poisoning his little body. Instead, all I get from her after I track her down is "Let me see if I can move his EEG up sooner, but the main thing we need is the genetics appt b/c I have to know if this is even something worth treating." Um, gee thanks for that reassurance!

I am so sick over this. I feel like I am failing him. His last neurologist was wonderful, despite the fact that he did not specialize in epilepsy. When Jayden was referred to him, he only had the abnormal EEG. We hadn't witnessed multiple seizures until the first (that we saw) grand mal seizure on Thanksgiving Day. After that, the seizures kept coming and he got the diagnosis and Dr. N was honest with us and told us that he needed to refer us to a neuro who specializing in E. But one thing about Dr. N...he returned calls. He reassured us. When Jayden's seizure activity increased, he did something about it. And when Jayden was very sick in April with breakthrough seizures (40-50 seizures a day!!) Dr. N returned calls immediately telling us what to do. He even called down to the ER to let them know that Jayden needed to be admitted when he arrived there. I am so afraid of that happening again while he is under the care of this Dr. She is not easily reached and does not seem to think that we are even deserving of a returned phone call concerning our son's health. I'm not happy with her. Sometime I wonder if I'm expecting too much b/c this is my son. But NO!! What is a phone call? What is a few minutes out of your busy day to let a very concerned parent know that you are actually working on a plan for her sick child? I don't even need the Dr to call me. Pass the message to your nurse for crying out loud. Here we are, going into a 3 day weekend. We have had a trip planned to visit my inlaws in Fl for some time now. We will have to go prepared for Jayden to have a seizure. I can handle the seizures. It's tough (especially the long ones!) but he's so scared when he's having one so I have to reassure him that it's gonna be alright. I only ask the same of his Dr. It's time for me to start the search for a new one...

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Oh man. I am peeved for you! I was going to suggest start looking for another Dr. Can you call Dr. N and see if he knows anyone else. There has to be someone else that you can see.

Praying for you.

Michelle

Jess said...

Uuuuuuuuugh! That's AWFUL. Seriously, seriously awful. I'm sorry they're not being anything but rude and unhelpful. I hope that you can turn something up sooner or later....and if not, I think sooner I'd probably find myself someone different if they're available.