Sunday, October 11, 2009

Can't help but worry a little...

For the past 2 months or so, Jayden has been having a really hard time falling asleep. We put him in bed every night at 8:30 and he goes without a fight, but it takes him a while to finally fall asleep. Usually at 10:30, 2 hours after getting in bed, we still hear him in his room moving around in bed and humming. Some nights I still hear him close to midnight! I wasn't really worried about it then b/c I figured he's just not too tired by 8:30 anymore and that eventually he'll start to fall asleep sooner. Well, now he can't seem to stay asleep. We've had 3 am awakenings at times and I can go in the room and tell him it's still too early to wake up and he'd eventually go back to sleep. Well, for the past 2 weeks, he's been waking up for the day at 5am. There's no convincing him to go back to sleep at least until the sun comes up! He doesn't cry or even get out of bed when the sun isn't out yet, but he's awake by then and can't seem to fall back to sleep. Now, Jayden has always been a great sleeper. By 3 months old he started sleeping 12 hours at night and that continued up until now, so I could just be spoiled by having a good sleeper. But what concerns me is that he has gone from sleeping 12 hours a night to sleeping 6 or less, which is not okay. During every evaluation Jayden has ever had, we've been asked if he sleeps through the night. We always say "OH YES! Never have a problem with that." But now, I think that's changing. My concern is that something may be happeneing in his sleep, neurologically, causing him to wake up and not be able to fall asleep again. Also, last week at behavior therapy, he stopped in his tracks on the way to the therapy room and clenched his arms and started trembling. It lasted all of 10 seconds and then he was running again. I figured he was just being silly but the therapist was concerned b/c right after he had a limp and his right foot was turned in when he walked. Shit. We always noticed his foot turned in at times and he walked with a limp at times, but it was never ALL THE TIME, so now I can understand her concern. Well, he did this again at the neighbor's little boy's birthday party yesterday. He trembled, this time a bit longer, then started liming but kept on playing. However, he got irritable and no longer wanted to be around the other kids.

I want to believe that I'm just looking to deep into things since I know that he had an abnormal EEG and have to wait until Nov 11 for an explanation for this. Now, of course, we pick a part every weird thing that Jayden does. But this significant change in sleep pattern and the trembling and limping are just causing me to worry a little. I am going to keep a journal now until his appt, to have this info to give to the neuro, but until the 11th, I'm not sure there's much more I can do. So until then I'll remain worried...and EXHAUSTED!!

No comments: