Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 4

Wow. So far so good! He had school (MMO) this morning so we put a diaper on him. I know the books say not to do this b/c it will confuse them, but he cannot verbalize the fact that he has to go, so we have no other choice until he learns to use the sign consistently or learn to tell us that he has to go. So anyway, he wore the diaper at school and then during a nap. After his nap, we took the diaper off and put on his Buzz Lightyear underwear. He did wet them a little, but we could tell that he felt himself getting wet and he stopped. We took the underwear off and let him run around with just his tee shirt b/c I kind of figured that he was wanting privacy, but didn't quite know how to pull his own underwear down yet. Well about an hour after I took off the underwear, he roamed into the hallway, so he was either going to his room or to the bathroom. I called to him (b/c it's not wise to let a naked, not quite potty trained, toddler run unsupervised through a house that you are trying to sell)and he said "Yes???" and came running back into the living room squealing "YAY!! I DID IT!" We totally thought it was a fluke, but sure enough he peed in his potty, all by himself. I think when I called him, though, I disturbed him b/c he had some on the floor as well and then about 5 minutes after that he went back to finish, without anyone telling him to go. So he just walks into the bathroom and sits on his potty when he has to go :)

But here is the BEST part! I didn't expect to have any luck with the bowel movements due to his celiac disease and the fact that he needs a daily stool softner to help him go. Add to that, the fact that he hadn't had a bowel movement since last week on Wednesday, so I wasn't expecting him to be able to do it in the potty. Well, he kept grabbing at his butt and running to the bathroom (SO FUNNY!!) and we would peek in on him and see him sitting on the potty, but then he'd get up and come back in the living room. This went on for about 45 minutes. Next thing you know, I'm on the phone with my sister and my husband is on the phone with his mom and he (my husband) says "Oh mom, I have to go!" Jayden was in the bathroom handling his "business"!! He had also "attempted" to wipe himself and clean up the little mess he made on his way to the potty, but we were so happy that he did this all by himself!! He got TWO lollipops for that! Now, I do still expect the bowel movements to be a bit tough for him b/c it was obvious by the mess in the bathroom that when he has to go he has to go NOW! And he can't hold it. But he gets the point and that's what matters. I'm so very proud of him and he may be out of diapers by the time he's 3 after all!

No comments: