Friday, August 28, 2009

Busy Busy Busy

It's been extremely busy around here lately. As you know, Jayden's therapy has resumed, with the exception of occupational therapy. We are still waiting for him to be assigned to one and we may end up having to take him in to a clinic for his weekly OT. We will find out soon, hopefully. In the meantime, he's had two speech therapy sessions. The first one was a bit hard for him b/c he had to readjust to her coming with the fun bag of toys and then leaving before he was ready for her to take the bag away. The whole transitioning thing. This week, he did so well. He actually even worked with her and answered some questions and made animal sounds when asked. I was so proud of him but I try not to be "that mom" during therapy. LOL! As she was getting ready to leave, I could see him clenching on to a few toys from her bag and I knew he would not transition well, so I turned on Yo Gabba Gabba just before she left. He placed the toys in her bag and told her "Bye Bye!" Such a good boy and thank you Noggin for Yo Gabba Gabba! He's also had 2 sessions of behavioral therapy. The first was just a "getting to know you" type thing. This week she started the ABLLS assessment She was only able to get through half of the assessment this week and will complete it next week. Once the assessment is complete she will be able to get a notebook started for him so that we can work on the things he needs to work on both in therapy and at home. He didn't score as high as we thought he would have on some of the cognitive things, but we agree that it's mainly due to his attention span and hyperactivity, so it should get better once she starts to work on him with compliance. Towards the end of the session (well more like 20 minutes into the 1hr session) Jayden started to tear the room apart. Seriously tearing it up. Throwing toys around, emptying out containers and tossing the contents about, flipping chairs over, and just running around wildly. She tried to distract him with Barney, but that didn't work. She was completing his assessment and asking us questions about his development. I mentioned to her that he does this often, plays with toys for only a few minutes then he gets destructive. She told me that once she gets started on working with him after we know what goals he needs to meet, he will not be allowed to do any of that, so we will see. So far, she is doing what she is supposed to be doing with him so I can't complain.

Jayden also had his CT scan done on Tuesday. He was given a sedative, a medication used to treat insomnia, 30 minutes before his scan was scheduled. I recorded his reaction (20 minutes after he had the medicine):

It never fully slowed him down!! LOL! The tech wasn't concerned though. He was so very patient with Jayden. He rode him around on the table until Jayden was comfortable with the back and forth movements and jerking of the table. Then he held Jayden's head still for the scan. They ended up doing two scans and sent both results to the Dr. The Dr called that evening with the results. Nothing to be concerned about at all, but he did see that Jayden has sinusitis so he's on an antibiotic for that. Now we just wait to have his EEG done on Monday.

The house showings have picked up again. Stressful and tiring. I'm hoping that it sells soon. And as if I didn't already have enough on my plate, I signed up for online classes and they started on Tuesday! It's a medical biling and coding course and several of the credits earned can be transferred to my nursing school. What's scary is that I plan to return to nursing school in Jan, but this online course isn't scheduled to end until the end of Feb!! It's self paced though, so if I can stay on the ball and ahead of things, I may be able to finish it by the end of Jan, at the earliest. We'll see. Oh and some great news...My husband's last day of work is Sept 25!!! I'm so excited to spend more time with him...and to get more help at home with the house showings, therapies, drs appts, etc!

No comments: