Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

On this day, I realize that I am truly blessed. My husband served in the US Air Force for 20 years. He left to defend his country just months after graduating high school. He's been sent overseas to fight for our freedom several times, including Afghanistan after 9/11. He's lost friends. He watched (and still is watching) friends suffer with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). He has friends who are missing limbs. He also has friends who didn't lose their lives or limbs, but lost their families b/c deployment does get rough on us military spouses. I'm blessed b/c after 20 yrs of serving this country, my husband is alive and well and we are still madly in love with each other. In fact, I actually miss the Air Force! The comradery, the annuals, the award banquets, the love we all had for each other. I'm still in touch with several military wives I've met over the years and they are truly some of my best friends (Mechelle, if you are reading this I LOVE YOU!!).

However, I know that this is not a happy day for everyone around the world. Today, for some families, it's a day of mourning. Somewhere, a mother is mourning the loss of her young son. A father is missing his daughter, but proud of what she has done for our country. A wife is now a single mother. Never had a chance to kiss her soldier goodbye. A little boy holds a picture of his mother, the only memory he will ever have of who she was. Initially, the title of this blog was going to read Happy Memorial Day, in I realize that today is definitely not a very happy day for many people. They are all in my prayers. Thank you to all of those who have fought for our freedom, those who gave their lives to our freedom, and those who are fighting for our freedom at this very moment.

No comments: