Friday, April 24, 2009

Gluten free chicken nuggets

I wanted to share with you a pretty good chicken nugget recipe I found online for J. Fast food chicken nugget is out of the question since he's gluten free so finding a recipe as similar to the fastfood nuggets as possible was important for me to appease my very picky eater! Anyway, I made them today and the look is VERY similar to that of the chik fil a nuggets. The taste is just as good, nice and juicy and slightly sweet. They are pending approval of Mr. J once he gets up from his nap, so I will update with the rsults once he gets up! Here's the recipe I used:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 milk (I used rice milk)
2 eggs (or egg replacer)
1 cup Gluten free cornflakes (I crushed them to a fine powder in our magic bullet)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
enough oil to deep fry nuggets
dry seasonings for taste

I combined all of the dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another. Cut up the chicken breasts and dipped them in the wet ingredients, then coated them with the dry then placed them in the deep fryer. You have to be very careful with the temperature of your oil b/c obviously the cornflakes burn quickly (don't ask how I found out!). It took about 4-5 minutes for them to cook through completely. I plan to freeze the leftovers and reheat them in the oven for J.

I hate to end a recipe post with this info, but I am wondering if the GF diet is actually helping him now. When we first started it, he went from having a BM every 7 days to having one every 3-4 days and it wasn't nearly as foul smelling. We've been following his diet really well lately, but yesterday he became extremely constipated and was MISERABLE. He walked through the house whined, eyes welling with tears. He looked so sad and I could tell he was in pain. He tried sitting on the potty and he really tried to go but he couldn't. I put on his diaper and told him he could go in his diaper and he did but it hurt him so badly that he had the saddest face, like he needed to cry but didn't want to. Then he looked at me and said "Mommy..." and walked over to me holding his belly =( I hugged hima nd rubbed his belly and he started shaking and locked up his joints. It was so scary! I took him to his room and helped him to pass the bowels and sure enough, they had blood in them. SIGH!!! I'm am so tired of this. My baby is still suffering and I still have ZERO answers!! He has had a dirty diaper FOUR times since then so now I'm wondering if he was impacted for a 4 days. And today, his behaviors has been awful, screaming, losing his temper, slapping himself and banging his head. I got so frustrated today I had to call my mom and she heard her grandbaby crying miserably in the background and she told me to take him to the ER and DEMAND that they find out what is wrong with his stomach! I wish it was that easy, but I know they'll say, "He needs to see a GI..." so Monday he sees the new GI and I hope she's ready for us b/c we are overdue to get some answers to this problem he's had for 2 yrs and counting!

No comments: