Sunday, July 20, 2008

No Coincidence

I planned to come home today and blog about my class reunion (which was awesome BTW!!) but after hearing this morning's sermon by Pastor Luter at my hometown church, the reunion update will have to wait until tomorrow!

First of all, I was SO HAPPY to be back in the old sanctuary! I hadn't been there since Hurricane Katrina. It reopened it's doors about 3 months ago and the seats are already filled every Sunday! Praise God! But imagine my surprise when Pastor Luter told us what the sermon would be about...True Friends. How ironic that I just blogged about this very topic a few days ago. I recently lost one of what I thought was a true friend and was bothered by it. It's been bothering me all week so I prayed to God about it. Well the Pastor used the scripture Proverbs 18:24

"A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

"Friends can destroy one another, but a loving friend can stick closer than family."

So he went on to ask "Who's in your Fave 5?" and that you need to be sure to pick carefully. It was amazing b/c he asked the sanctuary to raise their hands if they have over 10 people they consider a friend. Almost the entire church raised their hands. So then he asked, how many of you believe that all 10 of those friends are TRUE FRIENDS. Honestly, hardly no one raised their hands. He talked about 3 kinds of friends: A friend for a Reason, a friend for a Season, and a friend for a Lifetime. We all know that God puts certain people in our lives for a reason, and some for a season, and some of us are lucky enough to have TRUE lifetime friends! He said that we need to be careful who we put in our "fave 5" and be sure that God is NUMBER 1!!!

I felt so blessed this morning. I feel that not only does God put people in our lives for a reason, he also puts us in certain places for a reason. I am so glad I was able to hear the sermon this morning and I know that God was hearing my prayers this week. Hope your weekend was as great as mine was!!

3 comments:

Anita said...

What a blessing you received! And now you've shared it with us so it's reaching even further. I've been dealing with the pain of a broken friendship the past few months too... Even if it seems 'right' for it to end it still hurts.

Mommy said...

God is so good! I'm so glad I was able to spread the blessing. It does hurt, no matter how right it is, but we still have our number 1 friend!

katd said...

How awesome to be back in your church. That had to have felt so great!!
I have to say here, too, even though it's totally unrelated, that I am ALL about Lily being your future daughter-in-law some day. What beautiful babies we have!! :)